if u see me smiling in public it means im laughing at the jokes i tell myself in my head
So my school is putting on a production of Macbeth and not enough guys tried out so instead of having a girl play male Macbeth, our direction said, “Fuck it, we’re doing Lesbian Macbeth”
This is the best possible solution.
I most heartily approve of this because it is awesome.
"hey aren’t you too old for Poké…”
i scare people lots because i walk very softly and they don’t hear me enter rooms so when they turn around i’m just kind of there and their fear fuels me
"explain the character’s motivations and the reasoning behind his actions and who he is"
there we go
i want a story where the homestuck human kids, as ectobabies, are genuinely as strong and tough and battle-ready as they are in the comic and they don’t realize they’re not normal humans because they’re thirteen and isolated—but the game doesn’t happen and they start to grow up and go to regular schools and they wonder what the fuck, are they aliens? are they mutants? are they supersoldiers?
and then in college they find each other
I understand that a lot of people enjoy writing shipfics where they transplant characters into a college setting. Since some writers may not be in college, or may have graduated a long time ago, I thought I’d offer a helpful list of realistic college meet not-so-cute scenarios. Forget baristas. This is where it’s at.
- I’m really passionate about this cause and I will give you this flier if I have to shove it down your throat
- vicious battle over the only left handed desk in the room
- my roommate’s boyfriend is staying over so can I please sleep on your floor
- it’s pouring and my final paper is in my backpack so I guess we’re stuck under this tiny awning together. do you think they’d deliver pizza here
- hey I have to photograph someone for class will you be my model
- hey I have to take someone’s blood pressure for class will you be my victim
- variations of the above
- I know I keep coming to the cookie shop and for some reason it’s always your shift but don’t you dare judge me I need these for my sanity
- all our friends are drunk
- it’s 3 am and I’m still in the library studying for finals and I’m losing my grip on reality and I think I just saw a ghost
- we’re the only two people in this club. what is this club even for
- humans vs zombies (see you can still have your zombie AU, best of both worlds)
- we’re the only people who ever talk in discussions it’s awful
- GROUP PROJECT
#both of us turned up at the wrong room for this lecture but don’t know where its meant to be#waiting outside for pizza to be delivered and both of ours are super late#you keep parking in the space outside my student house you absolute asshole#we live in halls opposite each other and I keep seeing you changing through your window#you’re the only other person in the room when I break the printer and I’m panicking (little-smartass)
- Neither of us bought the expensive textbook but there is only one copy in the library and it can’t leave the building
- This awesome professor only has one TA slot and we’re rivals
- I found your USB drive still in the computer
- I thought I was the only one who liked the waffle station in the cafeteria
- You keep reserving the good study room in the corner of the library with the windows
- We’re studying in the library and there are two people very obviously fucking in the stacks and we keep sharing embarrassed glances
- We’re both donating blood in the blood donation van in the quad to get out of the same class
- You decked me in the head while you were playing frisbee golf
- Wait, I actually have a competent lab partner?
- You’re the RA and you’re trying to bust me for having hermit crabs
- You’re baking cookies in the communal kitchen at 3am and I’m angry but also really hungry
- What are you doing at this table at the career fair
- Waiting for office hours
- I’ve been sitting in this seat all semester why did you decide to sit in it today
- Clearly we’re both really uncomfortable at this party
- You peed on my car. You were drunk. I was in the car. There will be hell to pay.
- We started racing up the three flights of stairs to class for some reason and we can’t stop
- You’re REALLY GOOD at using the right search terms for the academic databases and I’m on a deadline
-my friend dragged me to this party and I just saw my ex quick make out with me
-we’re always at the fitness center at the same time and end up competing on the treadmill
- Sorry my roommate puked on your shoes
- Can I borrow a dryer sheet? I ran out and the ones in the vending machine give me a rash
-Your school mailbox is right next to mine
-I saw you sneaking captain crunch and cutlery out of the dining hall
-My roommate borrowed your contraband hotpot and managed to set it on fire
-You keep using my preferred shower stall in the floor bathrooms when I’m trying to get ready for class
-My computer crashed and you’re the student worker at the IT center
-we’re both on althetic teams that aren’t as cool as the football team and they give us shit
- You’re part of the guerrilla theater club on campus and crashed my class for a performance
-What do you mean we’re under a tornado warning?
-its 3am, in the dead of winter, some motherfucker pulled/set off the fire alarm and I am being very vocal about how I’m gonna make that fucker pay
-you’re the fucker who set off the fire alarm with your awful cooking
-I’m the fucker who set off the fire alarm with my awful cooking
-my shower isn’t working can I use yours
-RA mandated floor party
-I couldn’t help but notice you’re watching a show I like instead of studying in the computer lab
-dude your headphones are really loud like I can make out most of Kayne’s lyrics and I’m sitting across the fucking room
-hey the semester’s almost over and I have way too much money on my cafeteria account, do you want anything??? this shit’s just gonna disappear into the college’s pocket otherwise
-THERE IS A BOUNCY CASTLE IN THE OVAL AND I AM VERY EXCITED
-I’ve ordered take out every night this week and you always seem to be my delivery person
-we’re both skipping class to study for a different class
-you live above me and I’m going to murder you if you don’t stop throwing parties Sunday night
-there’s only one study room left in the dorm basement and I don’t want to walk to the library, let’s fight for it
-I swear I’m wearing this Batman costume because of a dare
-The guy with the bibles on the quad has cornered me and is screaming about hell, please rescue me
-lecture room bingo for annoying things your prof says
-you’re obviously high or hungover so I’m going to rescue you and tell the teacher why your answer wasn’t as strange as it sounded, but you’ll owe me
-holy fuck you found me on the roof please don’t be an RA
-your coffee order is taking too long and is making me late for class. turns out you’re in that class too, and you were trying to be late on purpose
-i’ve been looking all over the library for this book, and i can’t find it, can you help me even though you don’t work here
-i got separated from my orientation tour group, can you help me find this one building where i can catch up with them
-“can i copy your homework?” oh shit, i was going to ask to copy yours “well, looks like we’re both fucked.”
-I got the last slice of pizza in the dining hall, and it’s going to be a while until they make some more. you can have this one, i have time to wait, and i know you have to get going soon
- your neighbor somehow connected to your printer and keeps confusedly printing stuff off, eventually prints a job asking where your room is and if they can pitch in for toner/paper in exchange for printing
- “i am 100% certain that that is the umbrella i lost the last time it rained, i LOVE that umbrella and it was really expensive! who’s this asshole using it??”
- you go to the library on the same days every week and the same library worker keeps helping you
- you’re both late for class because you’re in the computer lab trying to print something off but the printer is showing an ERROR
- you regularly catch someone sleeping in back of this lecture but they look so beat down and pathetic that you start bringing them coffee and a copy of your notes from last time
- “hey you live in my dorm right? can we walk back together so neither of us has to pass by the frat houses alone?”
- i just witnessed you lose my last quarter to the vending machine, do you want some of my doritos?
- i really need to pee and you’re the least sketchy person in this library, so can you watch my bag?
- we’ve both been staring at the same dehydrated cafeteria pizza slice for 10 minutes in horror and in hunger, maybe we should split it
- saturday night, we both do our laundry and study at the same time. the night you didn’t show up, i got worried
This is supposed to happen the first time Persephone is back to the Underworld….so I went and made a sequel for a comic that hasn’t even happened yet. Wibbly wobbly timey wimey….
Did I regret anything? No. No I don’t.
He kidnapped her
Against her will
Thanks fo her father after her father raped her
She starved herself to get out of his place
twhere do people read romance into this, where??ßß1ßewkofp *flops over*
Thanks for continue to focus on the kidnapping part which is not the point of this myth.
Life and Death, the balance between them and the changes they cause, and the origin and meaning of the seasons cycle, on the other hand, are the real points.
Thanks for also persisting in the idea of Persephone as a passive figure. Kidnapped, raped, silenced, with no saying or power over anything (except for maybe starved herself because there are so many different versions of this myth that it’s difficult to keep track of them, did you know that apparently there is a version where she and Hades plot together?)
Thanks for also forgetting that she’s a goddess on her own and becomes Queen and Hades’ equal and actually they’re most stable marriages in the myths.
Thank you, you’ve enriched this post by telling me things I already know but I don’t care about. (◡‿◡✿)
Reblogging for the bitchin’ commentary and also to add that if anyone wants to read the most current (and IMO accurate) studies on Greek mythology and women’s lives, Women in Greek Myth by Dr. Mary Lefkowitz is invaluable (and incredibly inexpensive for an academic book).
The confusion comes from “Zeus” which is almost a title for a supreme god (think of the way “Caesar” was used). So you have Heavenly Zeus and Infernal Zeus, and they are not the same god but rather the supreme ruler of the sky and underworld, respectively. Likewise Persephone became known as “Infernal Hera” and this naming scheme persisted well into the Roman Empire, where Pluto and Proserpina are referred to as “Infernal Juno” and “Jupiter of Dis” in Book 6 of the Aeneid as well as on many grave monuments and in spells.
Moreover, gods don’t need to eat. Persephone refusing to eat was her refusing to become a part of the Underworld, not her attempting to starve herself. The gods are defined as being deathless, and in Ancient Greek “deathless” is synonymous with “god”. (Cf. Theogony, Works and Days, any of the Homeric Hymns, etc.) The Homeric Hymn to Demeter is really clear about this. (HH 2 370-4, 393-403.)
The marriage of Persephone and Hades is actually the most loving and consensual union among the Olympian deities. Hades first offers a dowry designed specifically to please Persephone (HH 2 10-14.), then carries her off and keeps her as a guest of honour in his house. (HH 2 341-345) Persephone is referred to as αἰδοίῃ παρακοίτι - his reverent wife. “Reverent” here refers to a respect for one’s duty, and the similarity between the pronunciation of αἰδοῖος an “Hades” is deliberate and intended to show how well-matched they are. Persephone misses her mother, yes, but is not overly upset about her marriage to Hades. Even Anchises expresses more regret over his union with Aphrodite. (HH 5 185-190.) Finally, as a proper parent, Demeter is rewarded for giving up her daughter, and offers a gift to the other gods in turn. (HH 2 441-495.)
It is worth noting that Demeter is given a position of remarkable power in this myth and is in many ways treated as or better than a father would be. The focus of the hymn remains the relationship between mother and daughter, and emphasises that it is a bond that can endure even after a woman leaves to marry. More importantly, the Homeric Hymn to Demeter is an etiological myth for the Thesmophoria and the Eleusinian Mysteries, a woman-only festival and the most enduring mystery cult of the ancient world. HH 2 serves to anchor women firmly in religious and family life and sets some fairly idealised standards for husbands. Many issues arise when attempting to interpret this myth into a modern context, which is why it is so important to understand that the myth was created over three thousand years ago and is largely a historical document reflecting the mores of the time.
This is the last time I’m reblogging this strip. I edited the original post because I’m really tired of this discussion, but latining’s comment is just perfect and flawless and really educating and everyone interested in this myth should read it.
THIS IS FUCKING BEAUTIFUL AND IM SO GLAD THAT MY BOYFRIEND REBLOGGED IT FOR ME TO SEE AND TO READ THE COMMENTS OMFG
Also like to point out that Hades and Persephone were one of, if not the, most faithful divine couples in Greek mythology.
Compare that to Zeus, who slept with anything that moved.
This comic is beautiful and adorable, and the commentary is (if you’ll pardon the pun) divine. A++, FAVORITE MYTHOLOGICAL COUPLE, WOULD FALL IN LOVE WITH THEM AGAIN.
#seriously people please stop trying to paint her as too dim to remember that eating would keep her there #she was a freaking GODDESS SHE KNEW THE RULES #also who the fuck eats SIX pomegranate seeds unless it’s to make a point? #no one that’s who #[/rant]
Beautiful commentary. God, I love mythology.